Monday, February 23, 2009

The long trip home

So we went to SLC to visit with Mike, Jennie & Sophia and had a great time. We also went to go pick up a car that we bought from them and bring it back to Seattle. The trip seemed to go pretty good on Saturday though we started seeing signs that warned there was bad fog ahead. We kept going and didn't know how far ahead the fog was and we thought we had made it as we were just about 16 miles outside of Pendleton. Then the FOG hit! It was very scary and we could not see even 5 feet in front of the car. We finally made it out of the fog and we were so very glad to get to the hotel and relax. Little did we know what was ahead though. So on Sunday morning we got up early and left the hotel about 7:30 A.M. for what should be about a 4 1/2 to a 5 hour trip. As we went just a bit down the road the weather wasn't too good and there was getting to be a bit of slush on the road. There was a roll over accident we passed and a couple of other spinouts. We then stopped in Prosser to change drivers. Kent started driving and just after we got back onto the freeway we saw a jeep that looked like it had spun out. We were driving slowly by it when I saw that there was a person laying on the ground. Kent stopped the car as quickly as he could and we backed up to the accident scene. I got out of the car and called 911. I wasn't sure if this person was alive or not and I was terrified to find out. As I got close to him I could see that he was breathing since the air was so cold I could see his breath. He was unconscious but breathing. I stayed on the phone with the 911 dispatcher to give them our position. It was really scary and I wasn't to sure what to do as we certainly did not want to try to move this young man. He was bleeding from his head somewhere but I couldn't really tell where. His face was covered up by the hood of his jacket and I didn't want to uncover him unless I had to. We didn't have a blanket but Kent was better thinking than I and he took the seat covers from the guys jeep and we covered him with those. Kent also thought to turn off the guys jeep as it was still running. As we stood back we could tell that his Jeep had rolled 2 times and then ended up on it's wheels. The roof of the jeep had come off and I assume that is when the guy was ejected. There was debris spread all over from his Jeep and it looked like he was a college student because of all the books and papers. Finally the aid units came from every direction and they took over. I was so relieved to see them come. We will probably never know if the young man made it or not but I feel good that we were there and could get him help so quickly. Kent took a couple of pictures at the scene of the accident.


4 comments:

Rachael said...

That is crazy!! I'm so glad you were there to call 911. Good job, you're a hero!

Aimee said...

I love Pendleton. SO sorry you had to deal with that on the way home.

Cara said...

Wow! Eric was telling me about the "excitement" on your way home, but he didn't really give me any details. Good job taking care of this guy! And I agree with Rachel, you are a hero!

Unknown said...

Wow! Sounds scary. This why I wouldn't own a jeep!